No New Target Date Yet

Posted by Leighangela Brady on 3/12/2021 7:05:00 PM

03/12/2021

At the most recent Board meeting on March 10, 2021, the Governing Board reviewed the feasibility of offering in-person instruction; and decided that it was still too early to set a new target date for hybrid reopening.

Before discussion options, Trustees discussed new legislation that would provide additional funding to districts geared toward reopening for in-person instruction. To receive full funding districts would need to reopen by April 1, 2021, or by May 15, 2021 to receive a pro-rated portion of the funding. Districts opening after April 1, 2021 would also be required to provide onsite asymptomatic COVID-19 testing to all staff and students as a condition of the funding. To make the best decision for our district, Trustees discussed three main considerations.

First, the Governing Board reviewed current case rate data for both San Diego and National City. The case rate for San Diego is 8.8 new cases per day per 100,000 residents, and San Diego is still in the State’s “Purple Tier” designation. As mentioned in my last letter to families, elementary schools in counties that are in the “Red Tier” (with case rates below 7 new cases per 100,000) are eligible for reopening. That said, our Trustees also reviewed the case rates in National City and South County, since local indicators also determine the overall safety of the reopening decision. National City’s current case rate is 15.8.

Second, the Governing Board reviewed options for asymptomatic testing of all staff and students that would be returning for in-person instruction. The Governing Board had many questions regarding the logistics of the testing including who would administer the testing and the type of testing that would be administered. At this time, there are two main type of testing that could be implemented: one, a minimally invasive nasal swab and another a saliva sampling test. Trustees felt that parents and staff should weigh in on the decision of which test would be most preferred; therefore, we will be sending out a brief poll in the next week or so to solicit input.

Finally, the Governing Board discussed vaccinations for educators. While we cannot mandate vaccinations of our staff, our Board felt that it was important that all staff had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated before setting a date for reopening for in-person instruction. At this time, all staff have received an invitation to make their first of two vaccination appointments. The second appointment is still pending for all. All staff will have had the opportunity to make their second of two vaccination appointments by the next Regular Meeting of the Governing Board.

Based on these three considerations, the National School District Governing Board has not yet set a date for reopening for hybrid instruction. Trustees are expected to discuss this again on April 14, 2021. In the meantime, in-person academic support for distance learning will continue as scheduled. If you have specific questions or concerns for your child, please reach out to your site principal. Thank you again for your partnership and patience during these difficult times.

------------------------------

En la junta más reciente de la Mesa Directiva el 10 de marzo de 2021, la Mesa Directiva repaso la posibilidad de ofrecer instrucción en-persona, y decidieron que todavía es muy temprano para poner una fecha de inicio para la reapertura hibrida.

Antes de las opciones de discusión, los miembros de la Mesa Directiva discutieron sobre la nueva legislación que proveería fondos adicionales a los distritos con el enfoque hacia reapertura para instrucción en-persona. Para recibir estos fondos completamente los distritos necesitarían reabrir para el 1 de abril de 2021, o para el 15 de mayo de 2021 para recibir una porción financiación a favor de la calificación. Distritos abriendo después del 1 de abril de 2021 serían también requeridos proveer pruebas del COVID-19 asintomático en las escuelas a todo el personal y estudiantes como parte de una condición de los fondos. Para tomar la mejor decisión para nuestro distrito, los miembros de la Mesa Directiva discutieron sobre tres consideraciones principales.

Primero, la Mesa Directiva repaso los datos actuales del ritmo de tasas para ambos San Diego y National City. El ritmo de casos para San Diego es 8.8 nuevos casos por día por 100,000 residentes, y San Diego todavía está en la designación Estatal de “Nivel Purpura.” Como mencionado anteriormente en mi última carta a las familias, escuelas primarias en condados que estan en el “Nivel Rojo” (con ritmo de casos debajo de 7 nuevos casos por 100,00) son elegibles para reapertura. Con esto dicho, los miembros de la Mesa Directiva también repasaron el ritmo de casos en National City y Condado Sur, como los indicadores locales también determinan la seguridad general para la decisión de reapertura. El ritmo de casos actual en National City es 15.8.

Segundo, la Mesa Directiva repaso opciones para pruebas asintomáticas de todo el personal y estudiantes que sería para regresar para instrucción en-persona. La Mesa Directiva tuvo muchas preguntas en cuanto la logística de las pruebas incluyendo quien administraría las pruebas y el tipo de pruebas que serían administradas. En este momento, hay dos tipos de pruebas que pudieran ser implementadas; una, prueba nasal de invasión mínima y otra de una prueba de saliva. Los fideicomisarios sienten que los padres y el personal deberían tener una opinión en la decisión de cual prueba seria más preferida; entonces, estaremos enviado un cuestionario breve la siguiente semana más o menos para solicitar sus opiniones.

Finalmente, la Mesa Directiva discutió vacunas para educadores. Mientras no podemos obligar las vacunas de nuestro personal, nuestra Mesa Directiva siente que es muy importante que todo el personal tenga la oportunidad para estar completamente vacunados antes de colocar una fecha de apertura para instrucción en-persona. En este momento, todos personal ha recibido una invitación para hacer su primera cita de las dos vacunas. La segunda cita está pendiente para todos. Todo personal va a tener la oportunidad de hacer su segunda cita de vacuna para la siguiente junta regular de la Mesa Directiva.

Basado en estas tres consideraciones, la Mesa Directiva del Distrito Escolar National todavía no ha colocado una fecha de reapertura para instrucción hibrida. Los miembros de la Mesa Directiva esperan discutir esto de nuevo el 14 de abril de 2021. Por ahora, apoyo académico para aprendizaje a distancia va a continuar en persona como programado. Si usted tiene una pregunta especifica o preocupación para su hijo/a, por favor de comunicarse con su director escolar. Gracias de nuevo por su asociación y paciencia durante estos tiempos difíciles.